Saturday, June 22, 2013

Fashion/Modesty/Stupidity

Why do we wear clothes? The first and simple answer would be ‘to cover ourselves’. Homo sapiens started covering themselves or cover their modesty with the beginning of the human civilization. In a way, we can say that clothes are the symbol of the civilization of the human beings.

As the time passed away, the symbol of civilization has now turned into the symbol of modernization. Today, clothes are not only the means to cover up ourselves but it’s the way to make ourselves look more beautiful, smart and moreover fashionable. The clothes made out of simple leaves have now been transformed to variety of fabrics. The fashion or the trend of wearing what and how is growing rapidly with the words ‘modernization’ and ‘globalization’. All these kinds of fashions and trends have been the means to the people to make themselves appear richer, classy and atop of every other being.

Nepal, a multi-ethnic country has diverse set of cultural ethnic dresses but there are very less Nepalese clad in their traditional ethnic dresses. The influence of Westernization, I must say. One can easily find any kind of western or eastern dresses (which is not Nepali) anywhere from the roadside vendors to the fancy branded stores. I may not be bluffing while I’m saying that there is no brand in the world which is not available in this K-town. With this availability of branded and branded-ized clothes, we can see youngsters in every styles across the world in this city.

It’s good to keep up your pace with the trends which is changing every now and then. I, myself is not a big follower of ongoing hot trends in the fashion world. Don’t be surprised when I tell you that I haven’t gone shopping for two years now. But I did get some Tees, couple of jeans and stuffs once in a blue moon. Neither I’m stylist not I’m pro-fashion-ist, but I do have objection when I see somebody wearing nice dress and shoes but is walking uncomfortably like s/he has been constipated for weeks.

It would not be fair that I criticize those people and toss comments on what and how they are dressed up but I just can’t help myself. For me, I should feel comfortable in whatever I’m wearing. And as I mentioned earlier clothes cover our modesty instead highlighting it. To my understanding (just for an example) Hip-Hop is all about wearing over-sized and low waist-ed clothes but boys who show their ass off in the name of Hip-Hop, at least get the name correct, its Hip-Hop, not Hip-Up. Girls, if you have to wear short dresses and high heels then walk with your head held high. Stop walking like you've stolen those dresses and shoes and stop limping.

The only thing I want to say is that if you don’t feel comfortable and confident in what you are wearing then wear something else you feel comfortable in. Simple pair of pants and shirts won’t make you look like a moron; flat slippers and long dresses will not lower your confidence and cover your beauty up.

If you feel comfortable and easy then ultimately you’ll look smart, bold, beautiful and confident. After all, it is said that dress that you wear defines you.

2 comments: